Located approximately 23 miles from Moscow, Kendrick is a town of about 300 residents. Founded by Thomas Kirby in 1889, Kendrick was first known as Latah or Latah City. On May 24, 1889, the post office was established, and Kirby became the first Postmaster and the town was called Kirby. However, in May 1890, based on a guarantee that the Northern Pacific Railroad would extend its track to the town, the town was named Kendrick in honor of the chief engineer of the Northern Pacific, James P. Kendrick. Kendrick incorporated on October 15, 1890. Today the track is the Ed Corkill Memorial Bike Trail linking the towns of Kendrick and Juliaetta together.
Only 4 miles away from Kendrick is Juliaetta, a town of around 600 residents. Both Kendrick and Juliaetta are towns in Latah County, Idaho. On highway 3, they are approximately halfway between Moscow and Lewiston. The area was originally called Schupferville for Rupert Schupfer, an original homesteader in the area. The town was named in 1882 by the first postmaster, Charles Snyder. He named the town in honor of his two daughters, Julia and Etta.
Two of Kendrick and Juliaetta’s major employers are agricultural companies, George F Brocke & Sons Inc and CHS Primeland. Some of the other businesses in Kendrick and Juliaetta include banks, local markets, medical and dental facilities, and dining and brewery options. Kendrick and Juliaetta also host annual events, such as Kendrick’s Locust Blossom.
Kendrick and Juliaetta are both part of the Kendrick Joint School District. The Juliaetta Elementary School is located in Juliaetta, serving grades K – 6th. The Kendrick Jr./Sr. High School is located in Kendrick, serving grades 7th – 12th.
Juliaetta , Idaho
Images of Kendrick & Juliaetta, Idaho